Telco Singtel said on Sunday morning (Dec 4) that it has fully restored its fibre broadband services, nearly 24 hours after an islandwide disruption that started at about 8.45am on Saturday.
In an update on Facebook at 9.50am, Singtel said it is taking the incident very seriously and are taking steps to review processes to prevent a recurrence.
“We are very sorry for the disruption. We understand it was a frustrating experience for customers and we would like to thank them for their patience.”
It added: “We will be offering all affected customers a 10% discount on this month’s broadband subscription.
“This will be reflected in their January bill. Affected broadband customers who are also Singtel postpaid mobile customers will have their local mobile data charges waived for both Saturday (Dec 3) and Sunday (Dec 4).
The telco had said on Saturday that customers across Singapore may experience difficulties in accessing their fibre broadband services. It encouraged those affected who are also its mobile subscribers to use mobile broadband instead and that mobile data charges will be waived for customers who are also Singtel postpaid mobile customers.
Responding to queries from Channel NewsAsia, a spokesperson for the telco said the outage, which affected users islandwide, was not caused by a distributed denial-of-service (DDoS) attack.
In a Facebook post at 9.43am on Saturday, the company broke news of the disrupton. “Our engineers are working to resolve the problem. Thank you for your patience,” it said.
In a subsequent update at 11.55am, the company said on Facebook that its engineers are still investigating the cause of the disruption. “Please bear with us as we try to resolve the problem,” it wrote.
In its 1.30pm update, Singtel said its engineers continue to work to resolve the broadband outage issue. In the meantime, it said it will waive mobile data charges for those affected on Saturday.
In a statement to the media at about 4.20pm, the telco said the issues were still not yet resolved.
At 11.55pm on Saturday, the telco said its engineers were still working to resolve the issue, and it would extend its offer of local mobile data waivers until service is restored. It clarified that two groups of customers would have their mobile data charges waived:
1. Singtel postpaid mobile subscribers who are also Singtel fibre broadband subscribers
2. Singtel postpaid mobile subscribers with same billing addresses as the fibre broadband subscriber
At 1.30am on Sunday, Singtel said that about 20 per cent of its fibre broadband services had been restored.
At 7am, Singtel said 80 per cent of its broadband services were restored.
At 9.48am, Singtel announced that its broadband services were fully restored as of 8.25am.